We are Volunteer-Powered, Non-Commercial, Listener-Sponsored, Full-Strength Community Radio for Portland, Oregon, the Pacific Northwest, & the World!
We broadcast at
- 90.7 fm in Portland
- 104.3 fm in Corvallis
- 91.9 fm in Hood River
Our transmitter is located at the Stonehenge Tower in SW Portland - check out these great photos.
Values that are the essence of KBOO and should remain intact no matter how the station changes:
- Community: local, accessible, empowering. welcoming, inclusive, participatory, involved
- Progressive Perspective: questioning, vital, uncensored, controversial, activist resource, educational, journalistic integrity, reflecting justice, peace, sustainability and democracy.
- Emotional Maturity: respectful, honest, fair, positive, peaceful, non-violent, engaging, open
- Diversity: valuing, embracing, bridging, listening, understanding, giving voice
- Leadership: bold, exploring, independent, cutting edge, responsible, excellence
- Creativity: eclectic, traditional to experimental, idiosyncratic, innovative, iconoclastic. evolving, compelling
KBOO is an independent, member-supported, non-commercial, volunteer-powered community radio station. KBOO embodies equitable social change, shares knowledge, and fosters creativity by delivering locally rooted and diverse music, culture, news, and opinions, with a commitment to the voices of oppressed and underserved communities.
Vision Statement:Grassroots KBOO fearlessly strives to deliver powerfully just, lovingly eclectic, vibrantly provocative grassroots content while honoring our growing radical revolutionary legacy. Service
KBOO shall be a model of programming, filling needs that other media do not, providing programming to unserved or underserved groups. KBOO shall provide access and training to those communities.
KBOO news and public affairs programming shall place an emphasis on providing a forum for unpopular, controversial, or neglected perspectives on important local, national, and international issues, reflecting KBOO’s values of peace, justice, democracy, human rights, multiculturalism, environmentalism, freedom of expression, and social change.
KBOO’s arts, cultural, and musical programming shall cover a wide spectrum of expression from traditional to experimental, and reflect the diverse cultures we serve. KBOO shall strive for spontaneity and programming excellence, both in content and technique.
A group of Portlanders, disgruntled at the lack of a classical music station, organized themselves as Portland Listener Supported Radio in 1964. They had heard of Lorenzo Milam, a former KPFA volunteer, and the success of the station called KRAB that he had started in Seattle. Lorenzo Milam agreed to help them organize a station, and after a series of meetings, Portland Listener Supported Radio applied for a license for a Portland radio station.
KBOO is governed by a Board of Directors elected by the membership, and a small staff which help coordinate the day-to-day operations and the hundreds of volunteers who help make this community effort a reality.
Click the links below for more information about each of these parts of KBOO's democratic structure:
- Board of Directors
- Development Committee
- Engineering Committee
- Finance Committee
- 2018 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2017 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2016 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2013 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2012 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2011 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2010 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2009 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- Governance Committee
- Membership Engagement Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Personnel Committee
- Programming Advisory Committee
- 2018 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2017 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2016 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2015 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2014 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2013 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2011 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2010 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2009 Programming Advisory Committee Minutes
- 2008 Programming Advisory Committee...
- Strategic Plan Workgroup
- Events Committee
- KBOO Policies
- KBOO Bylaws
- KBOO Policies Table of Contents
- Section I. 1. Foundation--Values
- Section I. 2. Foundation--Legal Requirements
- Section I. 3. Foundation--Operating
- Section II. 1. Board--Legal Requirements
- Section II. 2. Board--Rules-Values
- Section II. 3. Board--Board Operations
- Section II. 4. Board-Financial Practices
- Section III. Committees
- Section IV. Volunteers
- Old (2014) List of KBOO Policies
- KBOO Finances
- Annual Reports
- CPB/FCC Information