The topic is the lost Portland neighborhood of Guild's Lake Courts.
Hosts Cecil Prescod and Celeste Carey speak with local historian Tanya March, who has researched the Guild's Lake development during the 1930s and 40s, and former Guild's Lake Courts resident Charles Charnquist.
A riparian marsh known as Guild's Lake was deepened by damming and other construction and used as the setting for the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition. After the fair land developers and land owners filled in Guild’s Lake for industrial use.
During World War II the Housing Authority of Portland built temporary housing on the fill to accommodate a large influx of workers to the city. Guild's Lake Courts was home to many black residents, some of whom were moved to the area after Vanport City was flooded out.