Civil Liberties Watch: Hearings for Guantanamo Prisoners Begin
17 innoncent Uighurs refugees who have been imprisoned at Guantanamo are scheduled for a Habeas hearing in federal court on Tuesday. They are among the first prisoners to have the hearings, since the Supreme Court upheld their right to them in a June decision. The Supreme Court emphasized in it's ruling that the hearings should be "promp", given that most of the prisoners had been held for 6 years without charges.
Reporter Linda Olson-Osterlund spoke with Steve Wax, author of the book Kafka Comes To America, and the Oregon Public Defender. Waxes office has represented 7 Guantanamo prisoners and he spoke with her about theri cases and court delays.
- Title: Civil Liberties Watch: Hearings for Guantanamo Prisoners Begin
- Date: October, 6th
- Genre: News & Public Affairs
- Year: 2008
- Producer: Linda Olson-Osterlund
- Length: 4:29 minutes (4.11 MB)
- Format: MP3 Stereo 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)