Domestic Partnerships - Needed or Not?
Soul talks with Bonnie Tinker, ED of Love Makes A Family and Dr. Kimberly F. Balsam a Research Assistant Professor at the School of Social Work at the University of Washington about a published article (Adult Romantic Relationships as Contexts of Human Development: A Multi method Comparison of Same-Sex Couples with Opposite-Sex Dating, Engaged, and Married Dyads) in the January issue of Developmental Psychology, a publication produced by the American Psychological Association.
Thanks to Phoenix and Trudy (a Eugene couple) and Yolanda (from Salem) we learn more about how the delay of domestic partnerships impacts live outside the Portland GLBT community.
As always, Out Loud is here to help you get the word out about Portland LGBTQ news and events. Be sure to email us directly before noon of each Tuesday. We’ll do our best to announce or feature your event on our show or this site.
Basic Rights Oregon stand up and be counted! Jan. 30 rally to defend equality!
- DATE: Wednesday, January 30, 2008
- TIME: 5:30 pm
- PLACE: Terry Shrunk Plaza, SW 3rd and Madison in downtown Portland
Sexual Minority Youth Resource Center (SMYRC) Benefit: Wed: Jan 30 doors open at 7:30 p.m. event starts a 8 p.m. Athens Boys Choir: Multi-Media Spoken Word Homo-Hop. Performances by SMYRC Youth. 2100 SE Belmont St (#15 Belmont) > more info
Siren Nation Fund Raiser: Send a Valentine to your sweetie or the person you want to be your sweetie! $5 gets you an olds V-day card + vegan chocolate bar, delivered by bicycle, to your special person. Proceeds go to Siren Nation, the fun-loving gals who put on an annual festival celebrating the arts, music, film, and activist communities. You can order your Valentine these ways:
- online at www.sirennation.org (pay via paypal)
- at In Other Words Women's Books and Resources January 21 - February 8 Mon - Fri 10:00 am - 9:00 pm and Sat Noon-6:00 pm 8 NE Killingsworth
- at Food Fight! Grocery January 21 - February 8 10:00 am - 8:00 pm SE Stark at 12th
- at Alberta coop Saturday, Jan 26 and Saturday, Feb 2 from 2:00 - 6:00 pm 1500 NE Alberta
- at People's coop Saturday, Jan 26 and Saturday, Feb 2 from 2:00 - 6:00 pm 3029 SE 21st Ave
- at Breakfast on the Bridges Hawthorne and Steele bridges Friday Jan 25 from 7:00 am - 9:00 am
All orders must be placed by 5 pm, Friday, February 8th. Deliveries will happen between Saturday, Feb. 9th and Thursday, Feb. 14th. Please send all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Elder Resource Alliance Activities
- Feb. 2 from 1 - 3 p.m. Stroll and roll and show us your stuff! Bowling at Pro 300 Lanes. Beginners and all skill levels welcome! 3031 SE Powell. $4/game, $3.50 shoes Bus # 9
- Feb. 5 from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Meet at Friendly House, 1737 NW 26th, at 11 a.m. sharp for a ride on "the fun bus" to Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods Outlet in Milwaukie. Bob's produces many, many healthful grains, lots of gluten free products that you may purchase during your visit. Lunch onsite, then we'll tour the "mill" Meal on your own + $5-$6 for bus transportation. Your name and phone # required to reserve bus seat. Call Rachel. 503.224.2640
***If you are driving on your own, meet at the restaurant between 11:30- noon since some members will be coming in on the bus from Portland, let's look for each other!
- Feb. 6 from 2:30 - 4:30 p.m. ERA Business Meeting. See what ERA is up to! Your great thinking invited! Free. At Friendly House,1737 NW 26th Ave. Buses #15, # 17, # 77
Portland Lesbian Choir’s “Passion For Peace” On Saturday, February 9th, PLC is having their first concert of the season at 7:30 at Bridgeport United Church of Christ. Click to listen to their Making Light CD.
Meaningful Care Conference planned for 2008 LGBT Health Awareness Week - On April 11. Location: Oregon Convention Center
777 Martin Luther King Blvd. Portland, OR 97232. Event will address barriers for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer health care in Portland, OR during = National LGBT Health Awareness Week. This week is a nationwide effort whose purpose is to promote lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health. Events kick off during the second week in April all around the country.
April 11, 2008
Finally, we wonder if YOU – yes – YOU want to be part of this show? If you’re interested in becoming part of the Out Loud KBOO collective, check out these Volunteer links. Then, get in touch with us. Email us directly. If you’ve emailed us in the past and haven’t heard back from us – PLEASE email us again. Emails do get lost. We’re in once a week. We’ll respond to your messages and emails as soon as we receive them.