Ryan Copple: "Riese" And Beyond
Host Dmae Roberts talks with Ryan Copple is a Vancouver, BC writer, editor and co-creator (with Kaleena Kiff) of the award-winning steam-punk digital series Riese narrated bySanctuaryand Stargate SG1 star Amanda Tapping. The series began as an indie online series and then was picked up for season 2 by the SyFy Channel to run online last fall. The series featured actors from many well-known television series.Riese granered 1.2 million streams and was so successful that SyFy ordered another indie online web series called Mercury Men.
Highlights from Copple's interview on Stage & Studio:
- It is now easier than ever before for artists to distribute their work. Anyone can upload videos to sites like YouTube or Vimeo.
- Web series are shot with small screens in mind. But that doesn't mean skimping on quality. Ryan Copple and the rest of the team behind Riese say: "We never wanted to be good enough for the web. We just wanted to be good."
- Copple talks about some new projects and irons in the fire after the success of Riese and details the international launch of the series.
- New media is interactive and multi-platformed. Before Riese was launched, the creators released an alternate-reality game that set up the story.
- One of the best things about the future of the web series: creative freedom. "Don't be afraid to get your story out there," Copple says, "That's the beauty of the web, is you can just tell whatever you want to tell."
You can hear Stage & Studio at the KBOO website or on 90.7FM live at 11am Tuesdays.
Or you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes so you don’t have to miss a show.
And always browse our archive of shows at the official Stage and Studio website