Flight attendants organize at the world's new largest airline; immigrants organize for dignity and respect in Columbia County
What kind of election counts every non-vote as a "No" vote? A union election for airline or railroad workers under the Railway Labor Act. As Delta and Northwest merge to form the world's largest airline, a combined unit of twenty-one thousand flight attendants find their chance at union representation hangs upon a wildly skewed process overseen by a little-known board. Simone Cerasa, the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut State Chair of the Delta Association of Flight Attendants, CWA, joined us to lay out some key issues and challenges of organizing under the RLA, and how a new appointment by President Obama to the National Mediation Board could make all the difference.
Also in this show, Yesenia Sanchez, President of the new organization Latinos Unidos por un Futuro Mejor, joined us to talk about Columbia County community members rising up to build a network of dignity and respect in the wake of an anti-worker, anti-immigrant ballot measure passed in November.
- Artist: Simone Cerasa and Yesenia Sanchez
- Title: Flight attendants organize at the world's new largest airline; immigrants organize for dignity and respect in Columbia County
- Date: 03/09/2009
- Producer: Deborah Schwartz and Al Bradbury
- Length: 25:46 minutes (10.33 MB)
- Format: MP3 Mono 22kHz 56Kbps (CBR)