Joseph Gallivan interviews Tom Richards of the Faux Museum in Portland
On Tuesday April 1, 2014, Joseph Gallivan interviews Tom Richards, the Curator-slash-Janitor of the Faux Museum in Portland's Old Town.
Richards will talk about the Faux Museum’s new exhibition called Collections & AnoMalieS Public & Privates, which runs now through May 26th.
The new collection includes
· Litter from around the globe
· Collection of odd dice
· Hermit crab racing shells
· and Gorilla and Sabre Tooth Tiger skulls
He discusses the origins of the museum, its meaning, and they way visitors interact with the objects and the institution.
From the press release:
The Faux Museum has gathered collections and anomalies throughout the Northwest and across the ocean and will be exhibiting them in our Collections & AnoMalieS show.
In our continuing effort to get patrons off their couches and out of their comfort zones we bring you collections which include objects such as:
- Litter from around the globe
- Collection of odd die (you know dice)
- Hermit crab racing shells
- Gorilla and Sabre Tooth Tiger skulls
- Alligator and Armadillo bags
- Decade long missing sock collection
- Sacred cleaning tools
- A giant shelf fungus
- A nail collection
- Key hole covers
- And much, much more
- We were totally not exaggerating when we say much, much more because some of the people haven’t told us what they are sending yet
- Over 25 separate collections and anomalies!
These are the Museums involved to date:
- Seattle Art Museum
- Museum of Anthropology and Archaeology in Cambridge, UK
- Oregon Nikkei Legacy Center
- The Tiny Museum
- The Hat Museum
- The Bathtub Art Museum
- The Museum of Metal Typography
- The International Museum of Littered Ephemera
Tom Richards – Curator/Janitor
The Faux Museum – 139 NW 2nd Ave – Portland, OR 97209
Twitter and other social media platforms
Joseph Gallivan has been a reporter since 1990. He has covered music for the London Independent, Technology for the New York Post, and arts and culture for the Portland Tribune. He is the author of two novels, "Oi, Ref!" and "England All Over" which are available on Amazon.com