Guess Who's Coming to Radio??!! on 06/27/13
with everything going on right now in the name of promoting complicit mass slavery, independent media is extremely necessary at this point. not only must it be independent; it must also have a goal of freedom. we at 'guess who's coming to radio??!!' do our best to bring you not only a perspective of current events and news that is often not discussed regarding the larger picture; we also aim to bring you individuals from different life experiences and points of view who also work in some capacity against slavery- mental AND physical.
this week, we will be speaking with one of those individuals- lyfe stile, a st. louis, mo-based hip hop emcee. lyfe:
- formed plan-b with nato caliph around 2003 released 'eye of the storm/here today' in 2003
- is one of the founders/organizers of the st. louis underground music festival (SLUMFEST), an annual 12 hour hip hop festival which has been going on since 2010
- occasionally freelances for rawroots.com
- recently collaborated with blue (the wonderful local artist who has been on 'guess who's coming to radio??!!' as well!) on the track 'paper trail' which appears on her album “breakage – a hitchhikers' guide to babylon – a musical
- has performed at SXSW music festival in austin, texas in recent years
- has mentored several young hip hop enthusiasts in 2006—2008 via the center for recording arts
- got kicked out of the KOOL MIXX DJ BATTLE in 2003 for protesting cigarettes
- did freelance writing for XXL magazine in late '90s
we will be speaking with lyfe about his experiences as an active-ist in the hip hop community, as well as the role of hip hop in world and sociopolitical affairs. and there is ALOT to talk about- the supreme court striking down a major portion of the civil rights act, obama in the mother continent, the 'insider threat' program; and more.
and of course there's music! as the summer soulstice began a number of days ago, we'll be playing music inspired by, and speaking to this seasonal shift from the vernal equinox (aka 'spring'), a time where people speak to making changes in their lives.
for more information on lyfe: