Old Mole Variety Hour
The Old Mole burrows down to the roots of the great issues of our time – the struggles of ordinary people for democratic and sustainable ways of life. The Mole goes where corporate media fear to tread, supporting grassroots challenges to top-down authority and giving voice to movements that shake the foundations of an unjust society. The Moles' perspective is democratic, broadly socialist, and feminist. (We count Karl Marx as a friend).
For individual segments and information about episodes, click the "audio" tab.
You can leave comments for the Moles at email@example.com or by clicking on the comment section for any of our audio pieces.
Bill Resnick interviews Kathleen Gerson. Gerson teaches at NYU in the Department of Sociology, and is the author of The Unfinished Revolution: Coming of Age in a New Era of Gender, Work and Family. They discuss the revolution in US life triggered by the women’s movement.
Denise Morris hosts this episode of the Old Mole, which includes Christmas songs by Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald, as well as segments on the climate impacts of the TPP, the politics of the Peanuts' Christmas cartoon, and the impacts of the women's movement on family life in the USA:
- Desiree Hellegers hosts a round table discussion on the climate impacts of the Transpacific Partnership
- Joe Clement and his guest review the classic Christmas-time cartoon, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Bill Resnick interviews Kathleen Gerson about changes in US family life and impact of the women's movement
To listen to individual segments, follow the links above. To hear the whole show, click the play buton below. If you like what you hear, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. And please support KBOO by clicking on the tip jar at the top of this page!
- Title: OMVH21Dec15
- Length: 54:52 minutes (25.12 MB)
- Format: MP3 Mono 44kHz 64Kbps (CBR)
They discuss how communities, cities and states can lead progressive reforms on immigrant rights and create alternative and humane environments for receiving immigrants and refugees in light of reactionary opposition at the federal and state levels.
See her piece in Common Dreams.
1. Shena Elrington of the Center for Popular Democracy talks with the Old Mole's Laurie Mercier about what progressives can do at the local level.
2. Tod Sloan reads from Chris Crass's book Towards Collective Liberation.
3. Author and climate activist Tom Athanasiou talks with the Old Mole's Bill Resnick about how much was achieved at the Paris climate talks.
4. Tom Becker reads from and article by Dave Lindorff about how little was achieved at the Paris climate talks.
If you like what you hear, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. And please support KBOO by clicking on the tip jar at the top of this page!
Bill Resnick talks with Brian Tokar about this week's Paris climate change talks, which are headed toward an international agreement designed to allow fossil fuel companies to continue to profit, even though the tax discounts they get could be used for helping climate victims and transitioning to sustainable sources of energy. The Mole discusses the next steps for the climate action movements to save the planet.
Book Mole Larry Bowlden reviews Elizabeth Gilbert’s The Signature of All Things and finds it is a compendious study of the history of botany and of pharmaceuticals; it is also a wonderfully written story of a brave woman scientist on the verge of grasping the mechanism that drives evolution via her study of mosses.
Bill talks with Brian Tokar about the limits of the Paris climate talks and the need for local actions
Jan Haaken talks with faith community activists about us-vs-them fears manipulated by politicians
Larry Bowlden reviews Elizabeth Gilbert's novel, The Signature of All Things
To hear individual pieces, follow the links above. For the whole show in one file (but without pitch breaks), use the button below. To join or donate to KBOO, click on the tip jar in the upper right corner of this page. You can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and send us comments or inquiries about getting involved via oldmolevarietyhour at gmail dot com.
- Title: 7DEC2015mole
- Length: 35:27 minutes (16.23 MB)
- Format: MP3 Mono 44kHz 64Kbps (CBR)