Old Mole Variety Hour
The Old Mole burrows down to the roots of the great issues of our time – the struggles of ordinary people for democratic and sustainable ways of life. The Mole goes where corporate media fear to tread, supporting grassroots challenges to top-down authority and giving voice to movements that shake the foundations of an unjust society. The Moles' perspective is democratic, broadly socialist, and feminist. (We count Karl Marx as a friend).
For individual segments and information about episodes, click the "audio" tab.
You can leave comments for the Moles at firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking on the comment section for any of our audio pieces.
Tom Becker reads an article by Carl Finamore,"Move over Keynes, Make Room for Marx: Radical Ideas for Radical Times."
[Image from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Karl_Marx.jpg]
Bill Resnick interviews Larry Kleinman. Kleinman is co-founder of the Oregon Farm Workers union PCUN and is now working nationally on the immigrants rights struggle and preparing for changes in the law. They talk about Obama's recent very controversial Executive Order as well as the future of immigrant politics in this country.
[Image public domain from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ICE-seal.jpg ]
Frann Michel reads an article by Robin D.G. Kelley, Resisting the War Against the Black and Brown Underclass
[photo by Hyung Nam]
Denise Morris hosts this week's episode of The Old Mole Variety Hour which includes these segments:
• Bill Resnick interviews PCUN co-founder Larry Kleinman about immigration politics.
• Frann Michel reads an article by Robin D.G. Kelley
• Jan Haaken and Mike Snedeker talk the Left and the Law with a discussion of documentary Citizenfour
• Tom Becker reads an article on Radical Ideas for Radical Times.
Click links above to hear individual segments, click below for the whole show. Visit our main page for information about our name and graphics. Follow us on Facebook.
- Title: December12014MOLE
- Length: 54:44 minutes (25.05 MB)
- Format: MP3 Mono 44kHz 64Kbps (CBR)
This piece is an interesting companion piece to this CounterPunch article read on today's show by Tom Becker. Is it really enough to just "say no"?
For a different angle on this topic, listen to Clayton Morgareidge's following piece about how the 9 to 5 job produces consumerism.
1. Journalist Dawn Paley reveals the underlying motives for the so-called drug war in Latin America.
2. How consumerism created by advertising dumbs us down.
3. How working 9 to 5 makes willing consumers out of us.
4. A feminist who loves football wrestles with the contradictions.
5. Sovereign native American nations vow to block the Keystone Pipeline.
To hear the whole show, use the play button below. For individual pieces, click on the links above.
To keep current with what the Old Mole is up to, become our friend on Facebook.