6/22-23 Peace is Possible, One Community at a Time
KBOO is a proud sponsor of the Rotary Peace Conference, Peace is Possible, One Community at a Time.
|Peace is Possible, One Community at a Time|
|Keynote Speech||Friday, June 22, 7:00-8:30PM
First Congregational Church, 1126 Southwest Park Avenue, Portland, Oregon
Tickets $20 general public, $15 Rotarians/World Affairs Council members, $10 students.
|Peace is Possible Conference:||Saturday, June 23, 2012 from 8:00-4:30PM
Marriott Waterfront Hotel, 1401 SW Naito Parkway, Portland, Oregon
Tickets $60 includes breakfast, lunch, breaks and materials.
More information & registration at http://peaceispossible.us
The conference is called “Peace is Possible, One Community at a Time” and the details are at: http://peaceispossible.us/. It features an opening keynote event on Friday, June 22, an all day conference on Saturday, June 23, and a special training session for Rotarians on "Peace Tools" on Sunday June 24.
Nobel Peace Laureate Jody Williams speaks Friday, June 22 from 7:00-8:30PM to share her ideas on “Beyond Landmines: What’s Next for World Peace".
Jody Williams received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997 for her work to ban landmines through the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, which shared the Peace Prize with her that year. At that time, she became the 10th woman—and third American woman—in its almost 100-year history to receive the Prize. Like others who have seen the ravages of war, she is an outspoken peace activist who struggles to reclaim the real meaning of peace—a concept that goes beyond the absence of armed conflict and is defined by human security, not national security.
- First Congregational Church, 1126 Southwest Park Avenue, Portland, Oregon;
- Tickets $20 general public, $15 Rotarians/World Affairs Council members, $10 students.
Peace is Possible Conference – Saturday, June 23, 2012 from 8:00-4:30PM. Speakers Admiral Eric Olson (ret.), Former Commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command, Ambassador John McDonald (ret.), Chairman & CEO Institute for Multi-Track Diplomacy and Nobel Laureate Jody Williams, Founding Coordinator of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines.
- Marriott Waterfront Hotel, 1401 SW Naito Parkway, Portland, Oregon;
- Tickets $60 includes breakfast, lunch, breaks and materials.
- Registration at http://peaceispossible.us.
- Conflict Prevention & Peace – 8:30AM PANEL I:
- A dialogue between two career diplomats and two grass roots peace-makers, one a Greek Cypriot and the other a Turkish Cypriot.
- Profits with Principles – 10:00AM - PANEL II:
- Lisa Thompson, President of Icebreaker USA and William Early, Senior Vice President, Jeld-Wen, Inc. share experiences in advancing peace throug economic solutions; moderated by a UN diplomat working with investment in emerging economies.
- Keynote Speaker Admiral Eric Olson (ret.), Former Commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command – 12:00PM - LUNCHEON PROGRAM :
- Admiral Olson addresses challenges facing the US in creating an international system that will lead to sustainable peace.
- Women Prevent War with Nobel Laureate Jody Williams – 1:30PM - PANEL III:
- Panelists Lynn Renken of Mercy Corps and Rinda Hayes of Kenya Keyes join Ms Williams to explore how women and girls play a crucial role in the transition from conflict to peaceful development in societies.
- Peace Education – 3:00PM - PANEL IV:
- Highlights ideas about how Peace Education can in fact become Education for Peace with educators from Portland State University, University of Oregon and the non profit Peace Village.